To see a healthy and prosperous Ethiopian community who access quality health services through enhancing physicians’ professional capacity and guarding the rights and benefits of medical professionals so that professionals would be enthusiastic to discharge quality services and respect professional ethics.
To ensure the rights and benefits of medical professionals (doctors) through lobbying and advocating for their rights and benefits, (and their professional abilities through continuous upgrading of their medical knowledge) so that they could be able to provide quality professional services, and work with the government and other partners for the improvement of quality health services to the Ethiopian community.
- To promote the professional excellence of members in preventive and curative medicine and medical research
- To promote the science and art of medicine and improve public health
- To promote and maintain intellectual and professional freedom
- To provide professional and technical advice to the Ministry of Health and other concerned organizations.
- To publish the EMJ and other professional journals as the need arises
- To provide a forum for the exchange of professional's ideas, knowledge and experience among the members of EMA
- To provide Continuing Medical Education for all doctors practicing in Ethiopia.
Every year it holds annual medical conferences where members exchange ideas, knowledge and experience. It publishes Ethiopian Medical Journal quarterly and provides continuing medical education to update the knowledge of its members.
Since three years back it has re-organized the secretariat and has increased its capacity and is working closely with the Federal Ministry of Health and International
- Organizations and some of its accomplishments are:
- In House Capacity Building
- Development of a five year Strategic Plan
- Establishment of Four Branch Offices
- Development and Implementation of Projects
- Revision of the Constitution of EMA
- Collaborative Activities with different stakeholders
- Essential Steps Towards Realization of EMA’s Future House
The projects EMA is implementing are:
- Research Based Incentive for physicians working in remote hospitals
- Human Resource Capacity Building to Accelerate ART uptake in Ethiopia
- Support Routine Immunization Services
- Infection Prevention